Wintegrate Workshop on urban wind turbines : Brussels 11 May 2015
the framework of the Innoviris Strategic Platform ‘Brussels Retrofit XL –
project Wintegrate – and in collaboration with IBGE/BIM, VUB-INDI organises
a workshop concerning the ‘Wind energy and wind conditions in the built
environment in Brussels’.
The workshop will be held on Monday May 11th, 2015 at the offices of BBRI (Bld. Poincaré 79, 1060 Brussel).
Small wind turbines have shown to be a viable source of sustainable electricity, also in urban environments. With wind speeds of about 5-6 m/s on the rooftops of high-rise buildings, also Brussels has good wind conditions and has potential to explore urban wind energy opportunities.
This workshop highlights three aspects of urban wind turbines in the Brussels Capital Region. First, the concept of urban wind and its relevance is introduced. Then issues related to vibrations and acoustics, the structural challenges and the possibility of pilot projects are presented. Finally, an overview of the planning permits and environmental requirements in Belgium and other countries is discussed.
Concerned stakeholders are the regulatory authorities (of the Brussels' Region and its municipalities), urban planners, study bureaus, investors, and end users.
Date: Monday 11 May 2015, 9:30 - 12:00
Venue: Offices of BBRI/CSTC/WTCB, Boulevard Poincaré 79, 1060 Bruxelles
- 9:00 Coffee
- 9:30 Introduction Platform Brussels Retrofit XL– J. Van Dessel (BBRI) / J. Levin (Innoviris)
- 9:40 The case for urban wind turbines – Mark Runacres (VUB)
- What is urban wind and why is it relevant, with focus on Brussels
- 10:30 The Wintegrate project, results and Y3 objectives – Tim De Troyer (VUB)
- Vibrations and acoustics, challenges, the road to pilot projects
- 10:50 Urbanism and environmental regulations – Quentin Deltenre (VUB)
- Overview of the current situation in Brussels, Belgium and other countries
- 11:10 Questions & Answers
- 11:30 Network lunch
Participation is free of charge but registration is mandatory.
More information and subscription (before Monday 4/05/2015) at www.brusselsretrofitxl.be/events/
|Language:||Dutch, English, French|