Frequently asked questions

Select a question to expand the explanation below
Who is responsible for billing ?
The billing is handled by the financial administration. You do not need to prepare outgoing invoices. The accounting department does it for you. You need only to fill out the information form necessary for outgoing invoices and transfer this form to the financial administration for the attention of Alain Vander Elst. At the moment of booking the outgoing invoice, the amount appears immediately as income on your PKC, regardless of whether the customer has already paid the invoice (VUB does the pre-financing).
How do I open a new account?
For expenditure, you need a PKC (budget). The financial system of the VUB (called RAPOSA) checks prior the entry of each expenditure whether there are sufficient funds in your PKC to admit payment. This is called preliminary credit control. In case of insufficient credit for booking an expenditure, an employee of the financial department will contact you to specify and enter another PKC. Also for the recording of revenue a PKC is needed, so the income can be allocated to you.
Can an amount be pre-financed on my account?
Funds can only be pre-financed by the VUB if a signed contract is received or a letter of intent was signed by the client.
How to consult my account?
It is possible to consult your PKC in detail through the budget control on the intranet site of the financial administration. If you wish to grant access to one or more staff members to consult your budgets, please submit an application by e-mail addressed to financiële.administratie @ The online budget consultation shows the result of all bookings, except for a booking made on the day itself. Each evening, all input data from that day are booked, so they will only appear the next morning in your budget consultation.
Which are the relevant data for deposits from external organizations?
VAT: BE 0449 012 406 Social Security number: 7574825217 VUB account numbers : Invoices account (general): BE10 0013 4095 7504 (BIC: GE BA BE BB) For DONATIONS: BE51 0013 6779 3562 (BIC: GEBA BE BB) for CONI: temporarily still : BE51 0010 6864 5562 (BIC: GEBA BE BB) As a reference for the deposit should be mentioned: the PKC on which the internal revenue should be booked and this in a consecutive series of numbers and letters : example: WDOO63FAINK2 or ADSS24BEDRINK5. After this consecutive series you can still add a free description. This description will be printed on the statement of account of the account owner. For regular deposits to VUB, contact Marc Balister. Since there is no Cash register, cash is not accepted and must in all cases be transferred to the university through bank transfer.
What happens to balances after the finalization of the project?
This is determined by the contract, namely whether or not the costs are to be justified. For example, for contracts with government institutions, justification of the costs is obliged during the project. Unused funds will be reimbursed. In contracts with companies a greater flexibility is given. Often parties agree on a fixed amount without obligation of justification. This allows you to use balances to build up reserves.
What is overhead and how does it influence my budget?
According to the law, all flemish universities are obliged to foresee an overhead of at least 10%.The exact percentage is fixed by the individual universities in their internal regulations (17%). Other percentages can be determined depending on the kind of project. You can find more information in VUB's internal overhead regulation ( This overhead is seen as a minimum compensation for the use of the university's infrastructure and services and for general costs that derive from the execution of (research) agreements that can't be determined unambiguously by university.
Which costs do I need to take into account when calculating my budget?
When calculating a budget, you have to take into account the cost for : - personnel (all guidelines can be found on - working costs (e.g. consumables, travel costs) - equipment - overhead (can differ, dependent on the kind of project; also see 'What is overhead and how does it influence my budget?') - VAT (21%)
Is the university subject to VAT?
The VUB is subject to VAT since July 1st 2007, when the Tax Code was amended and all public authorities became subject to VAT. This means that the universities public by law are also subject to VAT for their contract research, both with industry and with public authorities. The anti-competitive element between the public and private universities is no longer of application. This means that the VUB has to charge 21% VAT on the total project costs (including overhead) for its services rendered to third parties. There are certain exemptions from this tax obligation for which we refer to the guidelines of the Financial Service (
What is VUB's VAT-number?
The VUB's VAT-number is BE 0449 012 406.
What is VUB's RSZ number?
The VUB's RSZ-number is 7574825217.
What can I do with the research results?
This is determined by the terms in the contract with the client. It is therefore important to make clear agreements in advance on the rights on the research. This will indeed determine what a researcher is allowed to do with the results.
What should I do when I have an invention?
Fill in an invention disclosure form and contact Hugo Loosvelt, IP manager.
Who owns an invention?
The research results, including the property rights on it, are owned by the institution, except as otherwise provided in regulations and/or agreements approved by the institution.
What is a patent ?
A patent is a government-granted exclusive right to create and sell an article or to exploit an invention. Through the patent law, inventors are protected against unauthorized use of their invention.
What does “PTC” stand for ?
PCT stands for “Patent Cooperation Treaty”. By using the PCT, an applicant needs only to submit one application that indicates in which countries he would like to obtain a patent.
What is “valorization”?
Valorization or "technology transfer" is the provision of (intellectual) property rights on university knowledge by sale or grant or consent to its use to third parties (including government and businesses). In this way, these third parties are allowed to use such knowledge to develop a product (in the broadest sense of the meaning) that is then commercialized, whether or not by the same partner.
When collaborating with the industry, what about the right to publish ?
There should be a balance between the concerns of the company to protect its confidential information and the right of academic researchers to publish the research results. One can elaborate a procedure in which the company has the opportunity to look into the design of the publications for a short term. If the company has not formulated comments after the closing date, the researcher can proceed to publish.
Does the rector need to sign agreements or can I do this myself?
All agreements with VUB have to be signed by the rector. Only he can legally represent VUB. Researcher cannot sign documents on behalf of the university.
Can you appoint someone on a service contract?
Researchers recruited under an employment contract at the university, may be appointed on research contracts. However, given the current legal and regulatory framework, fellows can not be appointed on research contracts.
Need to appoint somebody before signature of the contract ?
Appointments may only be pursued upon receipt of the signed contract.
How do I get my own labnotebook?
The TTI provides free laboratory notebooks to any interested researcher. Fill out the registration form (downloads -> forms and templates) and send it to Tania Bauwens (+32-2 629 2207,, TTI Management Assistant - Technology Transfer Interface, VUB, campus Etterbeek, Building M, room 414).
Why laboratory notebooks are so important?
Laboratory notebooks are necessary to keep certain research knowledge in the research group. Loss of information is avoided because loose information gets scattered, because (doctoral) researchers leave the service, etc .... All research data can be brought together in a central labnotebook. A laboratory notebook may also serve as objective reference work in case of conflicts (around scientific papers, patents, foreground and background knowledge).