The seed has been planted. You are thinking about valorising your applied research by setting up a spin-off company. Before embarking on this risky journey, you should ask yourself a number of questions.
Questions you need to ask yourself:
- Is my research world class science?
- Do I have passion for the job? What is my drive, motivation?
- Am I willing to take risk?
- Know yourself, ask yourself: do I have all the necessary skills to be an entrepreneur? What do I know about sales or marketing? Will I be the one pulling the project? Or do I know someone who can? What is my contribution to a team? What are the complementary skills needed? Look for a complementary team, crucial!
- Is there a market, customers?
- Maybe it would be better to co-innovate with a company instead of creating a spin-off?